How to Collect an Ex-Spouse’s Social Security Benefits in St. John

How to Collect an Ex-Spouse’s Social Security Benefits in St. John

Most people who are married assume that they will remain married for many years to come, and most likely indefinitely. However, this is not always the case; sometimes, divorce is the best course of action for a couple to pursue. However, a divorce can throw a wrench in more than just one’s emotional state – divorce can shake up one’s financial plans, too. If you were counting on your spouse’s record as it pertains to Social Security benefits, but have since divorced, you may still be able to collect benefits on an ex-spouse’s record in St. John. Here’s what you need to know:

When You Are Permitted to Collect Benefits on the Record of an Ex-Spouse

You are permitted to collect Social Security benefits on the record of your ex-spouse in St. John when the following criteria are satisfied:

  • You have not remarried;
  • You are at least 62 years old;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled, by virtue of their own work history and other criteria, to either Social Security retirement or Social Security disability benefits; and
  • The benefit that you would receive on your own record–i.e. The retirement or disability benefits that you are entitled to by virtue of your own work credits–is less than that which you would receive on the record of your ex-spouse.

The ability to collect benefits on the record of an ex-spouse applies even to those who have not earned any of their own work credits, or who have not earned enough work credits to qualify for Social Security benefits.

What If My Ex-Spouse Isn’t Claiming Their Benefits Yet?

A common question that we hear from those near retirement age in St. John pertains to the situation in which one party wants to claim benefits on the record of their ex-spouse, but the ex-spouse has not yet started claiming benefits. For example, party A and party B were married for 15 years, and have been divorced for three. Both parties are 62 years old, and therefore eligible to start claiming benefits from the Social Security Administration. However, party B–the party on whose record benefits will be claimed–does not want to start claiming their retirement benefits yet, but prefers to wait until they reach full retirement age. Can Party A claim on party B’s record regardless?

The answer is yes. A spouse can receive benefits on the record of their ex-spouse, even if the latter has not begun claiming benefits, as long as they have been divorced for at least two years and all of the other conditions for claiming benefits on the record of an ex-spouse are satisfied.

Learn More About How to Collect an Ex-Spouse’s Benefits in St. John

If you have more questions about how to collect an ex-spouse’s benefits in St. John, we can help provide the answers that you are looking for. At Harvest Social Security QA, we host free Social Security workshops for members of the St. John community that are designed to provide you with important information. To take advantage of this educational opportunity, sign up for a workshop near you online today.

No Charge to Attend! Seating is limited, so sign up today!

NUVEW | Copyright 2018. All Rights Reserved

Contact Address

Harvest Social Security QA 930 W. US-30
Schererville, IN 46375
Phone: (219) 864-5050


Hours: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm CST

Follow Us

The content is developed from sources believed to be providing accurate information. The information in this material is not intended as tax or legal advice. Please consult legal or tax professionals for specific information regarding your individual situation. Some of this material was developed and produced by Harvest Financial Planning, LLC to provide information on a topic that may be of interest. The opinions expressed and material provided are for general information, and should not be considered a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security.  Harvest Financial Planning, LLC Is Not Associated With The Social Security Administration Or Any Government Agency.