How to Collect an Ex-Spouse’s Social Security Benefits in Highland

How to Collect an Ex-Spouse’s Social Security Benefits in Highland

Did you know that even if you are divorced, if you were married to your ex-spouse for at least 10 years’ time, you may be able to collect Social Security benefits on their record? If you live in Highland, are divorced, and are nearing retirement age, here is a look at what you need to know regarding collecting benefits on the record of an ex-spouse:

Both Retirement Benefits and Social Security Disability Benefits May Be Available to You

If your ex-spouse is entitled to either Social Security disability benefits or Social Security retirement benefits, you can collect on their record when:

  • Your marriage lasted for at least 10 years;
  • You have not remarried (or, if you did remarry, that marriage has been terminated by death, annulment, or divorce);
  • You are at least 62 years of age; and
  • You are eligible to receive a greater Social Security benefit amount on your ex-spouse’s record than you are on your own record.

Your Right to Collect Benefits and Continue Working

Many people who are eligible for Social Security benefits on the record of an ex-spouse wonder whether or not they are eligible to collect these benefits while they are working. The answer is yes, although if you have another source of income, waiting until you reach full retirement age to begin collecting on an ex-spouse’s record is recommended. If you claim your ex-spouse’s benefits before reaching full retirement age and you are still working, your Social Security benefit amount will be reduced. The Social Security Administration explains that if you begin collecting your benefits before reaching full retirement age, the administration will deduct $1 for every $2 you earn past the annual limit (which changes year-to-year). If you wait until reaching full retirement age to begin collecting, however, then not only does the income limit increase significantly, but the Social Security Administration will also only take $1 for every $3 earned.

When You Can Start Claiming Benefits on the Record of an Ex-Spouse

As stated above, you may begin claiming benefits on the record of your ex-spouse when you are at least 62 years old and your ex-spouse is eligible for benefits. However, you do not have to wait for your ex-spouse to begin claiming benefits themself – one they reach age 62 and have enough earned work credits to qualify for Social Security, you can begin claiming on their record even if they choose to wait to full retirement age, or age 70, to begin claiming benefits for themself.

How You Can Learn More About How to Collect an Ex-Spouse’s Benefits in Highland

If you have more questions about how to collect an ex-spouse’s benefits in Highland, we have answers. At Harvest Social Security QA, our goal is to provide credible, accurate information about Social Security, and how to maximize your benefit amount, to members of the Highland community who want to plan for their futures. You can sign up for one of our free Social Security workshops near Highland through our website today. We hope to see you there.

No Charge to Attend! Seating is limited, so sign up today!

NUVEW | Copyright 2018. All Rights Reserved

Contact Address

Harvest Social Security QA 930 W. US-30
Schererville, IN 46375
Phone: (219) 864-5050


Hours: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm CST

Follow Us

The content is developed from sources believed to be providing accurate information. The information in this material is not intended as tax or legal advice. Please consult legal or tax professionals for specific information regarding your individual situation. Some of this material was developed and produced by Harvest Financial Planning, LLC to provide information on a topic that may be of interest. The opinions expressed and material provided are for general information, and should not be considered a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security.  Harvest Financial Planning, LLC Is Not Associated With The Social Security Administration Or Any Government Agency.